KUWAIT CITY, Oct 16: MP Khalid Al-Otaibi has suggested imposing an annual fee of KD 1,200 on expatriates who hold different kinds of driving licenses, except those under Article 20 visa (family drivers).
Al-Otaibi explained this is one way of reducing traffic congestion caused by the large number of vehicles. He argued the country’s roads can no longer accommodate the rising number of vehicles, particularly since this resulted in many accidents which claimed the lives of many people and caused injuries and delays. He stressed the need to limit the number of vehicles due to its negative impact on personal and public interests.
Meanwhile, MP Osama Al- Shaheen said the domestic workers crisis affects every Kuwaiti household and the high cost of hiring domestic workers has been a burden on the budgets of Kuwaiti families for many years; yet the government has not taken serious steps to address the issue which is related to about one million expatriates living in Kuwaiti houses.
He pointed out the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should sign agreements to facilitate procedures for the recruitment of domestic workers and its interior counterpart should review the relevant laws because the Domestic Labor Department is under its supervision.
He added the Ministry of Social Affairs is responsible as well by virtue of the decree of its establishment and ownership of Al-Durra Company, in addition to other ministries like health and commerce. He added the dissolved legislature passed two laws on the recruitment of domestic workers — Law Nos. 68 and 69/2015. He said these laws are contradicting as one stipulates the establishment of a governmental company to increase offers and reduce cost, while the other stipulates restrictions on existing labor offices to reduce offers and raise cost — an unfortunate example of legislative conflict.
In another development, MP Riyadh Al-Adsani has forwarded questions to Defense Minister Sheikh Mohammad Al-Khalid Al-Sabah about the tender for upgrading Desert Warrior armored vehicles. He said the tender was canceled in 2013 as the ministry decided to divide the demand such that the qualified companies will supply different spare parts and carry out maintenance works. He asked if there is a direct contract with Van Kappel Company, reasons for doing so, and if it was selected after receiving offers from qualified companies. He also requested for details like the capital of the said company, date of its establishment and if it previously worked with the ministry.
By Abubakar A. Ibrahim Arab Times Staff