Pakistan News

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will hold long-awaited auctions for 3G and 4G telecoms licences this April, the finance minister said on Friday, a step that could help boost the cash-strapped country’s foreign reserves.

A 3G licence will cost $295 million and a 4G licence will cost $210 million, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said.

He said the government would be looking for full payment, or a 50 per cent payment with the rest to be paid in five equal installments over five years, with an interest rate of three per cent.

There are about 132 million mobile phones in use in Pakistan, a country of 180 million people, according to the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority.

The telecommunications market was deregulated in 2004 and foreign firms such as Etisalat have invested heavily in recent years.

HANGU: At least nine suspected militants were killed on Saturday when gunship helicopters pounded insurgent hideouts in Thall village in Hangu district, security officials said.

“Gunship helicopters engaged the hideouts after confirmed reports of the terrorists' presence,” said one of the unnamed security officials.

Officials said the military launched the attack after confirming reports about the presence of militants in Thall.

They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to speak to the media.

According to sources, gunship helicopters pounded suspected militants’ positions in Tora Wari and Dar Samand areas of Thall, following which nine militants were killed whereas several hideouts were destroyed.

Sources added that gunships continued to hover after the shelling whereas panic spread in the area.

Hangu borders the northwestern tribal region of Orakzai, one of Pakistan's seven lawless districts on the Afghan border considered to be the hub of Taliban and Al Qaeda-linked militants.

These were the second air attacks against Pakistani Taliban militants this month in retaliation at strikes by insurgents, which have derailed peace talks.

Earlier this week, at least 35 militants were killed as fighter jets targeted suspected insurgent hideouts in three different tehsils of the North Waziristan tribal region.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had authorised the strikes, according to a source in his office.

The Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), an umbrella grouping of numerous militant factions, has been waging a bloody campaign against the Pakistani state since 2007, carrying out a number of bomb and gun attacks, often on military targets.

Peace talks between the Taliban and the government, announced on January 29, stalled this week due to a recent surge in insurgent attacks and a claim by a Taliban faction on Sunday that it had killed 23 kidnapped soldiers.

Government mediators have set a ceasefire as a precondition for another round of talks but Shahidullah Shahid, a spokesman for the TTP, on Friday blamed Islamabad for the deadlock and asked the state to declare a ceasefire first.

اسلام آباد: سعودی عرب کے ولی عہد سلمان بن عبدالعزیز اعلیٰ سطح کے وفد کے ہمراہ پاکستان کے تین روزہ سرکاری دورے پر اسلام آباد پہنچ گئے ہیں۔

ڈان نیوز کے مطابق سعودی ولی عہد کی راولپنڈی چکلالہ ایئربیس آمد پر وزیراعظم نوازشریف نے خود ان کا استقبال کیا۔ اس موقع پر انہیں انیس توپوں کی سلامی بھی دی گئی۔

ولی عہد سلمان بن عبدالعزیز کے وفد میں خزانہ و منصوبہ بندی کے وزیر محمد بن سلمان، وزیر تجارت طوافک بن تفضان اور وزیرمملکت برائے امور خارجہ نذار بن عبید بھی شامل ہیں۔

سلمان بن عبدالعزیز تین روزہ دورے کے دوران وزیر اعظم نواز شریف اور صدر ممنون حسین سے بھی ملاقاتیں کریں گے جبکہ دونوں ممالک کے درمیان دفاع اور تجارت کے شعبے میں اہم معاہدوں کا امکان ہے۔

پاکستانی قیادت سعودی شہزادے سے پاکستانی افرادی قوت کو سعودی عرب میں مواقع فراہم کرنے کی بھی بات کرے گی۔

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan will get the associate membership of CERN by June this year which will be beneficial for industrial sector, human resource development and technology transfer in key areas of radiofrequency technology.

Head of CERN delegation Dr Sergio Bertolucci said this while addressing a press conference here today along with Chairman Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) Dr Ansar Parvez.

Dr Parvez said it will raise the collaboration level between Pakistan and CERN, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research laboratory Geneva.

He said that Pakistan fulfills all the criteria for becoming a CERN associate member, adding that the industrial base and experience of high precision manufacturing enables Pakistan to make significant contributions to the CERN program.

Replying to a question, the PAEC chairman said that collaboration with CERN is not limited to scientific organisations such as PAEC and National Center for Physics (NCP).

“As soon as Pakistan becomes associate member of CERN, it will provide new and innovative avenues of research and development for our scientists and researchers,” he said.

Briefing the media, Dr Bertolucci said Pakistan has incredible potential for advancement in science and technology, adding that Pakistani scientists are talented and there is hope for more sustainable future.

Replying to a question, he said that Pakistan meets the criterion for becoming associate member of CERN, which includes ability of scientists and engineers, capacity and thirdly clear understanding of stakeholders.

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced Wednesday that his government would pursue peace talks with Taliban militants despite a recent spate of attacks, naming a four-member committee to facilitate the talks.

Addressing a session of the National Assembly after a span of six months, Sharif said the government wanted to give peace another chance.

The premier announced the constitution of a four-member team – comprising his Advisor on National Affairs Irfan Siddique, veteran journalist Rahimullah Yusufzai, former ambassador and expert on Afghanistan affairs Rustam Shah Mohmand and former ISI official Major (Retd) Amir Shah – to holds talks with the militants.

He said that Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan would assist the committee.

Sharif also called on the militants to observe a ceasefire in the televised speech. He said that he would personally supervise the performance of the committee, adding that he was sincerely trying to restore peace in the country and expressed his hope that the other side would reciprocate in a similar manner.

The announcement came the same day Taliban militants targeted paramilitary soldiers, killing at least three Rangers personnel in separate bomb attacks in Karachi.

Speaking to Dawn.com from an undisclosed location via telephone, Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Shahidullah Shahid claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Shahid said the Taliban have convened a meeting of the Shura (council) to “assess the committee formed by the federal government for peace talks.”

“Taliban are united under Fazlullah and rumours about rifts are baseless,” he said.

Sharif long has supported talks as the best way to end the years of fighting with the Pakistani Taliban. But after a spate of attacks in January, he has been under pressure to take steps to bring the country’s violence under control.

His speech came amid speculation that the government would soon authorise a large-scale military operation against militants.

Speaking to parliamentarians on Wednesday, Sharif said the entire nation – including all state institutions – stand united if the government decides to react to terrorism with full force.

“Since the other side has shown intent to negotiate, we also wish to give peace yet another chance,” he said, adding that bitter experiences of the past propelled the government to hold peace talks to bear fruit.

“The acts of terror must stop. Terrorism and talks cannot continue simultaneously,” he told parliamentarians.

He said peace was not a choice but the ultimate destination at which the government wanted to arrive and it would achieve it at all costs.

The prime minster said that all state agencies were also united on the stance that the war against terrorism must end.

In an apparent allusion to former military ruler General (retd) Pervez Musharraf, Sharif alleged that a dictator and his unconstitutional government had put the country in a despicable state.

The premier said his government was doing all it could to stop US drone strikes on its soil. However, he said that at the same time there was no justification for continuing the acts of terror in reaction to the drone strikes.

“Are the innocent children who fall prey to acts of terrorism, or the innocent civilians who die in such attacks, responsible for conducting the drone strikes?” he remarked. “Murder of innocent people cannot be tolerated anymore.”

Dialogue to be ‘open, transparent’

Sharif further said that he agreed with the proposals of opposition leaders to set a time-frame for dialogue and make it open and transparent.

“I desire that dialogue should be open and transparent. I appreciate the proposals of opposition leaders,” he said in response to points raised by leaders of two major opposition parties, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and the Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf (PTI).

He said that to ensure transparency and take along all stakeholders, the federal government had included a nominee of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government in the four-member committee. “I hope Rustam Shah Mohmand will continuously be briefing Imran Khan and KP government on the progress of dialogue.”

“Moreover, I also invite the opposition leaders to sit with me and give their proposals. I am also ready to sit with you. Invite me to your residence and I shall come to listen to you. Your proposals will be supportive,” said the prime minister.

He, however, said he did not deem it suitable to give a time-frame to the dialogue process at this moment. “If the process proceeds, a time frame can also be set,” he said.

Rahimullah Yusufzai told news agency AFP: “Our role will be of facilitators and we will pave the way for negotiations between the government and the Taliban.” But he cautioned: “I am not attaching any expectations with the process right now because we are not aware of our mandate and other details, including the timeframe that will be given to the committee.”

Another member of the committee, Rustam Shah, said: “It is difficult to have an optimistic view about any success because of deep mistrust on both sides.”

”The success of the negotiations will depend on how much support the government gives to the committee and how wide its mandate is.”

مظفر آباد + ہٹیاں بالا (اے این این) بھارت کی جانب سے منشیات سمگلنگ کے الزامات کے بعد کنٹرول لائن پر تجارت کا مستقبل خطرے میں پڑ گیا، 49 ٹرکوں کو مقبوضہ کشمیر، 27 کو مظفرآباد میں روک لیا گیا۔ منشیات سمگل کرنے کے الزام میں ایک ٹرک ڈرائیور گرفتار کر لیا گیا۔ ملزم کو پاکستان کے حوالے کرنے سے انکار کر دیا گیا جبکہ پاکستانی حکام نے الزام کو مسترد کرتے ہوئے کہا ہے کہ بھارت کا الزام کنٹرول لائن پر تجارت کو سبوتاژ کرنے کی سازش ہے، پہلے بھی ایسے الزام لگائے جاتے رہے آج تک کوئی ثبوت نہیں دیا گیا۔ تفصیلات کے مطابق سرینگر مظفرآباد دوطرفہ تجارت کے ذریعے آزادکشمیر سے مقبوضہ کشمیر جانے والے مال بردار ٹرک سے ایک ارب سے زائد مالیت کی ہیروئن پکڑنے کے بھارتی الزام، بھارتی انتظامیہ کی جانب سے ٹرک اور ڈرائیور آزادکشمیر کی انتظامیہ کے حوالے نہ کرنے پر آزادکشمیر سے مقبوضہ کشمیر جانے والے 49 ٹرکوں کو مقبوضہ کشمیر اور مقبوضہ کشمیر سے آنے والے ٹرکوں کو آزادکشمیر میں روک دیا گیا‘ ٹریول اینڈ ٹریڈ اتھارٹی آزاد کشمیر نے مذکورہ تاجر کو پولیس حراست میں رکھوایا جس پر بھارت کی جانب سے ایک ارب سے زائد مالیت کی منشیات بھیجنے کا الزام ہے۔ جمعہ اور ہفتہ کی رات تقریباً ساڑھے بارہ بجے دونوں اطراف کے حکام کے درمیان امن برج پر میٹنگ ہوئی جس میں بھارتی انتظامیہ نے آزاد کشمیر حکام کو بتایا کہ جس ٹرک سے منشیات برآمد ہوئی اسے ضبط کر لیا گیا ہے اور ٹرک ڈرائیور کو حراست میں رکھا ہے۔ باقی 48 ٹرک واپس بھیجے جا رہے ہیں لیکن متنازعہ ٹرک اور ڈرائیور کو آزاد کشمیر کے حوالے نہیں کیا جائے گا جس پر ٹی ایف او چکوٹھی کراسنگ پوائنٹ بشارت اقبال نے کہاکہ ایس او پی کے مطابق دونوں اطراف کے ٹرکوں اور ڈرائیوروں کو معاہدے کے مطابق بیک وقت آر پار ہونا ہوتا ہے جسے بھارتی انتظامیہ نے ماننے سے انکار کردیا۔ ٹی ایف او نے بھارتی انتظامیہ کو کہا کہ اگر اس قسم کاکوئی معاملہ ہے تو ٹرک‘ ڈرائیور مع ثبوت ہمارے حوالے کئے جائیں ہم خود قانون کے مطابق ان کے خلاف کارروائی عمل میں لائیں گے جسے بھارتی انتظامیہ نے ماننے سے انکار کر دیا جس کے بعد دونوں اطراف کے خالی ٹرک آر پار بند ہو کر رہ گئے ہیں۔

اسلام آباد (فصیح الرحمن خان/ دی نیشن رپورٹ) سابق صدر پرویز مشرف کی سکیورٹی ٹیم سے تعلق رکھنے والے دو اہم ارکان نے حال ہی میں امریکہ کیلئے ملٹی پل ویزا حاصل کئے ہیں۔ انکے ایک قریبی نے عندیہ دیا ہے کہ پرویز مشرف کی ٹیم نے انکے بیرون ملک عارضی قیام کیلئے روانگی کی کوششیں تیز کردی ہیں، ممکنہ طور پر وہ بحر اوقیانوس سے پار کسی ملک میں جائیں گے۔ دونوں سکیورٹی معاون پرویز مشرف کی سکیورٹی ٹیم کا اس وقت سے حصہ ہیں جس وہ صدر اور آرمی چیف تھے، فوج سے ریٹائرمنٹ لینے کے بعد بھی انکے ساتھ ہیں۔ ان دو افراد نے گزشتہ ماہ امریکہ کا 5 سال کا ملٹی پل ویزا حاصل کرلیا ہے۔ اس حوالے سے صورتحال سے واقف ایک اہلکار نے بتایا کہ ان افراد نے مشرف کیلئے اپنے کیریئر کی قربانی دی ہے۔ اس نے نام ظاہر نہ کرنے کی شرط پر بتایا کہ پرویز مشرف ملک سے فرار نہیں ہونگے بلکہ عدالتی عمل کے ذریعے جائیں گے۔ اس ذریعے کا کہنا تھا کہ مشرف کوئی فرار کا محفوظ راستہ نہیں چاہتے نہ ہی وہ مستقل طور پر جلاوطنی قبول کرینگے۔ پرویز مشرف کے سابق سیاسی ساتھی انکی باعزت طور پر ملک سے روانگی کیلئے سرگرم ہو گئے ہیں۔ اس ذریعے نے ساتھ یہ خبردار بھی کیا کہ اگر ٹرائل جاری رہتا ہے تو یہ وزیراعظم ڈاکٹر نوازشریف کیلئے انتہائی خطرناک نتائج کا حامل ہو گا۔ ڈاکٹر نوازشریف کی زیرقیادت مسلم لیگ (ن) 1999ءکے واقعہ کے پیش نظر انتہائی محتاط ہے۔ نوازشریف اس وقت مشرف کے ہاتھوں قید ہوئے اور پھر سعودی عرب جلاوطن کردیئے گئے۔ پرویز مشرف اس وقت اے ایف آئی سی میں زیرعلاج ہیں، ابھی انہیں خصوصی عدالت کے سامنے پیش ہونا باقی ہے۔ کئی کیسز میں انکی ضمانت ہوچکی ہے۔ انکے وکلاءنے عدالت میں جو رپورٹ پیش کی اس میں انہیں 9 بیماریاں بتائی گئی ہیں تاہم اس رپورٹ میں بڑی دل کی بیماری کا ذکر نہیں مگر امریکہ میں مقیم ایک ڈاکٹر نے حال ہی میں ایک نوٹ جاری کیا ہے جسے مشرف کی ٹیم نے خصوصی عدالت میں پیش کیا، اس میں کہا گیا ہے کہ سابق صدر کو ہارٹ اٹیک کا خطرہ درپیش ہے، انہیں بیرون ملک ہسپتال (امریکہ) میں علاج کیلئے بھیجا جانا چاہئے۔ خصوصی عدالت 24 جنوری کو فیصلہ کریگی کہ آیا مشرف کو اے ایف آئی سی کی سفارشات پر بیرون ملک علاج کی اجازت دی جائے یا نہیں۔ ادھر وزیراعظم ڈاکٹر نوازشریف کی کچن کیبنٹ کے قریبی ذرائع کا کہنا ہے کہ حکومتی کیمپ مشرف کو محفوظ راستہ دینے کے حوالے سے منقسم ہے۔ حکومت میں شامل سخت گیر عناصر (ہاکس) اس بات پر اصرار کر رہے ہیں کہ مشرف کے معاملے پر غیرملکی ضمانت کاروں سے یہ ضمانت لی جائے کہ وہ سیاست میں حصہ لینے کیلئے کئی سال تک پاکستان واپس نہیں آئیں گے اور اعتدال پسند (فاختائیں) نوازشریف کو یہ مشورہ دے رہی ہیں کہ وقت ضائع کئے بغیر اس ایشو سے چھٹکارا حاصل کر لیا جائے اور عدالتی طریقہ کار سے مشرف کی بیرون ملک روانگی کی مخالفت نہ کی جائے۔ وزیراعظم کے قریبی حلقوں نے قیادت کو مشرف کے ٹرائل کے حوالے سے فوج کے نچلے حلقے میں پائی جانیوالی بے چینی کے بارے میں آگاہ کیا ہے۔ انکا کہنا ہے کہ اعلیٰ فوجی قیادت شائد خاموش رہے تاہم نچلے حلقے میں پائی جانیوالی بے چینی کو نظرانداز نہیں کیا جاسکتا۔ ایک اہلکار نے نام نہ بتانے کی شرط پر کہا کہ بعض غیرملکی حکومتوں خصوصاً سعودی عرب نے شائد خود کو مشرف کیس سے علیحدہ کر لیا ہو تاہم وہ اس حوالے سے وزیراعظم کو اپنی مضبوط رائے دے چکے ہیں کہ اس ایشو سے جتنی جلد ممکن ہو چھٹکارا حاصل کرلیا جائے۔ دریں اثناءامریکی اخبار ”وال سٹریٹ جرنل“ لکھتا ہے کہ طبی وجوہ پر مشرف کے ملک سے جانے سے عدالتوں، فوج اور حکومت کیلئے محفوظ راستہ نکل سکتا ہے۔ مشرف کے خلاف غداری مقدمے نے حکومت اور فوج کے درمیان دوبارہ کشیدگی کے خدشات پیدا کر دیئے ہیں۔ مشرف کو مجرم ٹھہرایا گیا تو پھانسی کے ذریعے انہیں سزائے موت کا سامنا ہوسکتا ہے کیونکہ غداری کی سزا موت ہے۔ سزا کی صورت میں حکومت کیلئے فوج کے ساتھ تصادم کا راستہ نکل سکتا ہے۔ عدالتوں کیلئے اس طرح کی سزا بے چینی کے سوالات کھڑے کر دیگی، عدالتوں نے ہمیشہ فوجی حکومتوں کو تحفظ فراہم کیا ہے۔ ایک اعلیٰ حکومتی عہدیدار نے اخبارکو بتایا کہ حکومت غداری کے الزامات ثابت کرکے مشرف کو ایک مثال بنانے کیلئے بے چین ہے لیکن وہ اسے پھانسی پر لٹکتا ہوا نہیں دیکھنا چاہتے اور انہیں کچھ رعایت دے کر ملک چھوڑنے دیا جائیگا۔

login with social account

Events Gallery

Currency Rate

/images/banners/muzainirate.jpg

 

As of Thu, 21 Jun 2018 09:06:23 GMT

1000 PKR = 2.531 KWD
1 KWD = 395.054 PKR

Al Muzaini Exchange Company

Go to top