Science & Technology

ریون پاکٹ نامی اے سی فی الحال صرف جاپان میں دستیاب ہوگا — فوٹو بشکریہ سونی

 

کیا آپ کو گرمی بہت لگتی ہے اور دل کرتا ہے کہ ہر وقت ائیرکنڈیشنر آپ کے ساتھ ہو؟

اگر ہاں تو اچھی خبر یہ ہے کہ جاپانی کمپنی سونی نے اس کا حل لگتا ہے کہ تلاش کرلیا ہے۔

جی ہاں یہ کمپنی ایسا وئیرایبل ائیرکنڈیشر متعارف کرانے کا ارادہ رکھتی ہے جسے جیب میں رکھا جاسکتا ہے جبکہ اسے استعمال کرنے کے لیے ایک خاص ٹی شرٹ کو پہننا ہوگا۔

 

ریون پاکٹ نامی اے سی کو اس خصوصی ٹی شرٹ کی گردن اور کمر کے درمیان موجود جیب میں رکھ دیا جائے گا اور یہ خاموش ڈیوائس گردن پر ٹھہر کر تھرمو الیکٹرک کولنگ خارج کرے گی۔

اگر موسم گرم ہے تو یہ اے سی آپ کا جسمانی درجہ حرارت 13 ڈگری تک پہنچائے گا جبکہ سرد موسم میں یہ جسمانی درجہ حرارت بڑھا کر 8 ڈگری تک لے جائے گا۔

کمپنی کے مطابق اس اے سی میں پلیٹیر ایفیکٹ استعمال کیا گیا ہے جو کہ عام طور پر گاڑی کو ٹھنڈا کرنے کے لیے استعمال کیا جاتا ہے۔

اس اے سی کو ایک موبائل ایپ کی مدد سے کنٹرول کیا جاسکے گا جبکہ آٹومیٹک موڈ بھی کمپنی مستقبل میں متعارف کرانے کا ارادہ رکھتی ہے اور ہاں سنگل چارج پر 24 گھنٹے کام کرسکے گا۔

اس کے بعد یو ایس بی سی پورٹ سے 2 گھنٹے میں اسے مکمل چارج کرنا ممکن ہوگا۔

فی الحال یہ اے سی کراﺅڈ فنڈنگ کے لیے پیش کیا جارہا ہے جس کی شپنگ مارچ 2020 میں شروع ہونے کا امکان ہے اور وہ بھی صرف جاپان میں۔

اس کی قیمت 12 ہزار جاپانی ین (لگ بھگ 19 ہزار پاکستانی روپے)سے زائد رکھی گئی ہے۔

اس ڈیوائس کا وزن محض 85 گرام ہے جبکہ حجم ایک اسمارٹ فون سے بھی چھوٹا ہے۔

 

 

A Huawei company logo is seen at Consumer Electronics Show Asia 2019 in Shanghai. ─ Reuters

Huawei will delay the launch of its much-touted foldable 5G Mate X smartphone by three months, the latest setback for the company that was slapped with US sanctions last month.

The Mate X, a competitor to Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Fold, is expected to be rolled out globally in September, Vincent Pang, Huawei's head of corporate communications, said on the sidelines of the WSJTech D.Live conference in Hong Kong.

It was originally slated for a June launch.

The delay comes as Huawei phones face being cut off from updates of Google's Android operating system (OS) in the wake of the US blacklist that bans American companies from doing business with the Chinese firm.

Pang, however, denied the delay was due to the ban, saying Huawei was in the process of running certification tests with various carriers that were expected to be completed in August.

He also told Reuters that Huawei, the world's second-largest maker of smartphones, could roll out its Hongmeng operating system (OS) ─ which is being tested ─ within nine months.

“Our preference will of course be Google and Android as we have been partners for many years,” said Pang, also a senior vice president at Huawei.

“But if the circumstances force us to, we can roll out Hongmeng in six to nine months.”

Hongmeng is based on the version of Android that is publicly available via open-source licensing and is mainly meant for phones, Pang said. Hongmeng will support other devices later.

Alphabet Inc's Google had earlier said it would no longer provide Android software for Huawei phones after a 90-day reprieve granted by the US government expires in August.

Huawei has applied to trademark its Hongmeng OS in various countries, Reuters reported on Thursday, in a sign it may be deploying a back-up plan in key markets.

At home, Huawei applied for a Hongmeng trademark in August last year and received a nod last month, according to a filing on China's intellectual property administration's website.

Pang denied recent media reports that Huawei was cancelling the roll out of its next new laptop and said it will still launch at a later date.

Ban fallout

Huawei has come under mounting scrutiny for over a year, led by US allegations that “back doors” in its routers, switches and other gear could allow China to spy on US communications.

The company has denied its products pose a security threat.

However, consumers spooked by how matters have escalated are offloading their devices amid Android worries.

Huawei's hopes to become the world's top-selling smartphone maker in the fourth quarter this year have now been delayed, a senior Huawei executive said this week.

Problems at Huawei, the world's largest network-equipment maker, are spilling over to the broader chip industry.

Broadcom Inc has warned of a broad slowdown in chip demand, blaming the US.

China trade conflict and export restrictions on Huawei, and cut its revenue forecast for the year by 8 per cent. Huawei accounted for about or 4pc of the company's overall sales last year.

Micron Technology Inc's CEO Sanjay Mehrotra said at the WSJconference on Friday that the ban on Huawei brings “uncertainty and disturbance” to the semiconductor industry.

Mehrotra said Micron was assessing impact from the ban on Huawei, one of its largest customers.

China's Huawei Technologies launched on Monday what it said was the world's first 5G communications hardware for the automotive industry, in a sign of its growing ambitions to become a key supplier to the sector for self-driving technology.

Huawei said in a statement that the so-called MH5000 module is based on the Balong 5000 5G chip which it launched in January. “Based on this chip, Huawei has developed the world's first 5G car module with high speed and high quality,” it said.

It launched the module at the Shanghai Autoshow, which began last week and runs until Thursday.

“As an important communication product for future intelligent car transportation, this 5G car module will promote the automotive industry to move towards the 5G era,” Huawei said.

It said the module will aid its plans to start commercialising 5G network technology for the automotive sector in the second half of this year.

Huawei has in recent years been testing technology for intelligent connected cars in Chinese cities such as Shanghai, Shenzhen and Wuxi and has signed cooperation deals with a swathe of car makers including FAW, Dongfeng and Changan.

The company, which is also the world's biggest telecoms equipment maker, is striving to lead the global race for next-generation 5G networks but has come under increasing scrutiny from Washington which alleges that its equipment could be used for espionage. Huawei has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Scientists in Israel unveiled a 3D print of a heart with human tissue and vessels on Monday, calling it a first and a “major medical breakthrough” that advances possibilities for transplants.

While it remains a far way off, scientists hope one day to be able to produce hearts suitable for transplant into humans as well as patches to regenerate defective hearts.

The heart produced by researchers at Tel Aviv University is about the size of a rabbit's.

It marked “the first time anyone anywhere has successfully engineered and printed an entire heart replete with cells, blood vessels, ventricles and chambers,” said Tal Dvir, who led the project.

“People have managed to 3D-print the structure of a heart in the past, but not with cells or with blood vessels,” he said.

But the scientists said many challenges remain before fully working 3D printed hearts will be available for transplant into patients.

This photo shows a 3D print of heart with human tissue. ─ AFP
This photo shows a 3D print of heart with human tissue. ─ AFP

 

Journalists were shown a 3D print of a heart about the size of a cherry at Tel Aviv University on Monday as the researchers announced their findings, published in the peer-reviewed journal Advanced Science.

Researchers must now teach the printed hearts “to behave” like real ones.

The cells are currently able to contract, but do not yet have the ability to pump. Then they plan to transplant them into animal models, hopefully in about a year, said Dvir.

“Maybe, in 10 years, there will be organ printers in the finest hospitals around the world, and these procedures will be conducted routinely,” he said.

But he said hospitals would likely start with simpler organs than hearts.

Producing 'ink'

In its statement announcing the research, Tel Aviv University called it a “major medical breakthrough.” A biopsy of fatty tissue was taken from patients that was used in the development of the “ink” for the 3D print.

First, patient-specific cardiac patches were created followed by the entire heart, the statement said.

Using the patient's own tissue is important to eliminate the risk of an implant provoking an immune response and being rejected, Dvir said.

 

Challenges that remain include how to expand the cells to have enough tissue to recreate a human-sized heart, he said.

Current 3D printers are also limited by the size of their resolution and another challenge will be figuring out how to print all small blood vessels.

3D printing has opened up possibilities in numerous fields, provoking both promise and controversy. The technology has developed to include 3D prints of everything from homes to guns.

SAN JOSE: The two largest smart phone makers in the world supply a majority of their own modem chips to help their devices connect to wireless data networks, according to evidence presented at an antitrust trial for chip supplier Qualcomm Inc.

A trial between the US Federal Trade Commission and Qualcomm kicked off in a federal courtroom in California on Friday, with the regulators arguing that Qualcomm engaged in anticompetitive patent licensing practices to preserve a monopoly on modem chips. The case is being closely watched because it may shed light on the likely eventual outcome of the global legal battle between Apple Inc and Qualcomm.

Apple has alleged that Qualcomm engaged in illegal business practices, and Qualcomm in turn has alleged Apple violated its patents, scoring victories in China and Germany last month.

Qualcomm has argued its licensing practices follow long-established industry norms and that it charges broadly the same licensing rates that it had for many years before it ever started selling chips.

That has become a big market for Qualcomm, which controlled 59.6 per cent of the $15.3 billion market for 4G modem chips in 2017, according to IDC’s Phil Solis, who studies mobile chips for the research firm.

But Bob Van Nest, an attorney representing Qualcomm in the case, also sought to show that Qualcomm is not dominant in the world’s two biggest handset makers.

During opening arguments, Van Nest’s presentation said that Huawei internally sources 54pc of the modem chips it puts in its devices and gets only 22pc of its modems from Qualcomm, with the remainder coming from other unnamed makers. Samsung internally sources 52pc of the modem chips it uses, with 38pc from Qualcomm and the rest from other makers, according to the presentation.

Huawei and Samsung did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Also, the FTC’s case centers not on the overall modem chip market — which includes slower chips that go into cheaper handsets – but rather the market for speedy “premium” chips where Qualcomm is among the only options.

Huawei and Samsung are both large diversified technology corporations that make many other products aside from premium-priced smart phones. Huawei’s HiSilicon unit supplies the chips for its high-end phones such as its Mate and P series. Samsung’s chip division supplies processors and other components for many of its handsets and is also a dominant global supplier of memory chips beyond its own products.

The two firms are also Apple’s fiercest rivals in the market for premium smart phones costing $700 or more. Apple depends entirely on Intel Corp and Qualcomm for modem chips, though the iPhones released in 2018 use Intel modems exclusively.

Published in Dawn, January 6th, 2019

گوگل نے اپنے سافٹ وئیر میں تبدیلیاں کرتے ہوئے سرچ ہسٹری کو ڈیلیٹ کرنے کے ساتھ اہم پرائیویسی کنٹرول کو تلاش کرنا آسان بنا دیا ہے۔

گوگل کی جانب سے ایک بلاگ پوسٹ پر بتایا گیا کہ صارفین کے لیے مینیو کو اپ ڈیٹ کرکے انہیں سرچ ہسٹری ریویو اور ڈیلیٹ کرنے کی سہولت گوگل سرچ کے اندر ہی فراہم کردی گئی ہے۔

اس سے قبل صارفین کو گوگل اکاﺅنٹ کے اندر جاکر ڈیٹا کو اپنی مرضی کے مطابق کنٹرول کرنا پڑتا تھا۔

مزید پڑھیں : گوگل خاموشی سے آپ کی ہر بات ریکارڈ کرنے لگا

نئی تبدیلیوں کے بعد اب صارفین گوگل کی اشتہاری سیٹنگز کے مینیو کو دیکھ اس معلومات کا انتخاب کرسکتے ہیں جو کہ گوگل آپ کے بارے میں ایکٹیویٹی کنٹرولز میں محفوظ کرتا ہے۔

یہ فیچرز فی الحال ڈیسک ٹاپ اور موبائل ویب کے لیے متعارف کرائے گئے ہیں جبکہ آئی او ایس اور اینڈرائیڈ میں گوگل ایپ میں انہیں آئندہ چند ہفتوں میں اپ ڈیٹ کیا جائے گا۔

گوگل کے مطابق اگلے سال اس سیٹنگ کو میپس تک توسیع دی جائے گی، جس کے بعد دیگر گوگل پراڈکٹس کو بھی اس میں شامل کیا جائے گا۔

کمپنی کا کہنا تھا کہ صارفین کے لیے براہ راست گوگل پراڈکٹس کے اندر پرائیویسی کنٹرولز تک رسائی اور انہیں تبدیل کرنے کا اختیار انہیں پرائیویسی کو محفوظ بنانے میں مدد دے گا۔

یہ بھی پڑھیں : وہ سب کچھ جو گوگل آپ کے بارے میں جانتا ہے

اس سے قبل رواں سال ستمبر میں گوگل کو اس وقت شدید تنقید کا نشانہ بنایا گیا تھا جب یہ رپورٹ سامنے آئی کہ جب صارفین کسی بھی گوگل سروس جیسے جی میل پر لاگ ان ہوتے ہیں، تو کروم خودکار طور پر صارفین کی اجازت کے بغیر براﺅنگ ڈیٹا کو جمع کرنے لگتا ہے۔

گوگل کی جانب سے لاگ ان میں یہ تبدیلیاں گزشتہ دنوں کروم میں کی جانے والے نئے اضافے میں کی گئی تھیں اور صارفین کو ان سے آگاہ بھی نہیں کیا گیا۔

اس کے بعد گوگل نے کروم براﺅزر میں تبدیلیاں لانے کا وعدہ کیا تھا جس پر اب عملدرآمد ہورہا ہے۔

 

Italy's competition authority on Wednesday said it was fining Apple and Samsung 10 and five million euros ($11.5 and $5.7 million) respectively for the so-called “planned obsolescence” of their smartphones.

The ruling is believed to be the first against the manufacturers following accusations worldwide that they encourage operating system updates for older phones which slow them down, thereby encouraging the purchase of new phones.

Two “complex investigations” by the anti-trust authority AGCM revealed that Apple and Samsung implemented unfair commercial practices, a statement said.

“The two companies have induced consumers to install software updates that are not adequately supported by their devices, without adequately informing them, nor providing them with an effective way to recover the full functionality of their devices,” the AGCM said.

 

Operating system updates “caused serious malfunctions and significantly reduced their performance, in this way speeding up their replacement with more recent products.”

Samsung “insistently suggested” to owners of its 2014 Note 4 phone to install a new version of Google's Android operating system intended for the more recent Note 7, the ACGM said.

But that was “without informing them of the serious malfunctions that the new firmware could cause due to greater stress of device's hardware and asking a high repair cost for out-of-warranty repairs connected to such malfunctions”.

Likewise, Apple “insistently suggested” to iPhone 6 owners to install an operating system designed for the iPhone 7, “without warning consumers that its installation could reduce the speed of execution and functionality of devices”.

'No support'

Apple “did not offer any specific support measures for iPhones that had experienced such operating problems and were no longer covered by the legal warranty; only in December 2017 Apple provided for the possibility to replace batteries at a discounted price”.

Apple was also found not to have told customers about “essential” characteristics of its phones' lithium batteries, “such as their average duration and deterioration factors, nor about the correct procedures to maintain, verify and replace batteries in order to preserve full functionality of devices”.

Both companies were fined the maximum possible, Apple paying double Samsung's five-million-euro fine because of its two contested practices.

The Italian anti-trust authority opened its investigation in January following customer complaints around the same time as a similar probe in France.

The US company was forced to admit last year that it intentionally slowed down older models of its iPhones over time, sparking concerns it was unfairly nudging consumers to upgrade.

Also read: Apple’s new iPhones: ‘xsive’ or ‘xllent’ ?

At first, Apple had denied it intentionally shortened the life on any of its products. It said it slowed models to extend the performance of the phone — which uses less power when running at slower speeds — and to prevent unexpected shutdowns.

The California-based group also faces a class-action suit in the United States and a slew of lawsuits in Russia.

Samsung in January said that it “does not provide the software updates to reduce the product performance over the life cycle of the device, according to reports”. It pledged to cooperate with the Italian authorities.

The companies will be required to publish an “amending declaration” on their Italian websites with a link to the AGCM's ruling.

There was no immediate reaction to the Italian decision from Apple or Samsung.

11.png

login with social account

Images of Kids

Events Gallery

PIK Directory

 

Online Health Insurance System

 Sate of Kuwait

Go to top